Toll Free : 1-833-700-5342
Request A Quote

Toll Free : 1-833-700-5342

Request A Quote

Degree Authentication

Degree & Transcript Apostille or Authentication Legalization

In order for a Canadian degree, diploma or report card to be recognized in another country, it needs to go through an authentication and legalization process known as an apostille. In certain countries, this procedure may also be known as attestation, but the objectives are the same. Our services for legalization, authentication, or apostille will help you with this process. With a decade of expertise, we have assisted people in authenticating and legalization of their educational credentials in countries including Spain, Mexico (where it is referred to as an Apostille), the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar (where it is known as UAE Legalization or Qatar Legalization). Families moving abroad for employment, as well as people seeking higher education abroad, should take note of this procedure.

Determining Whether the Diploma or Report Card Is Acceptable for Authentication or Apostille

Proper documentation of education is essential for a seamless authentication procedure. The document needs to be authenticated by the Global Affairs Canada Authentication Services Section or by the appropriate provincial government authority, and legalized by the foreign embassy located in Canada. Document authentication, also known as apostille, is the initial step in the procedure.

How Can I Get an Apostille for a Canadian Degree or Transcript?

As of January 11, 2024, Canada is a signatory of the Hague Apostille Convention, which has greatly eased the process of certifying and authenticating Canadian educational documents for use in other member countries. This advancement is especially helpful for students who wish to continue their study elsewhere.

Before Canada ratified the Hague Apostille Convention, more difficult “legalization” procedures were needed for Canadian documents—like report cards and diplomas from elementary or secondary schools—to be accepted abroad. This procedure frequently required several phases, such as legalization by the desired country’s embassy or consulate after validation by the Canadian government.

How to Apostille Educational Document

This process is now significantly faster and easier, nevertheless, since Canada joined the Apostille system. The Hague Convention is in force in the country that issues an apostille, which is a certification issued by a specified authority. The Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, or a comparable government agency, is most likely the entity in Canada with this authority.

Here’s how it works:

Verification: A document’s authenticity, like a diploma or report card, is confirmed by the appropriate Canadian authorities.

Apostille certificate: is issued by the authorities and attached to the original document after verification. The document’s validity and authenticity are attested to by this certificate.

International Recognition: Worldwide Acknowledgment: The document can be easily identified in all other Hague Apostille Convention countries when the apostille is attached. This removes the requirement for additional verification or authorization from the destination nation’s embassy or consulate.
For students who plan to study in countries that have ratified the Hague Convention, this process is especially beneficial. It eases the transition for students relocating overseas for school, saves time, and cuts down on red tape.

Note that although the Apostille attests to the document’s authenticity, it does not translate its contents for students and their families. Therefore, a certified translation may still be necessary if the document is in a language that is uncommon in the country of destination.

High School Diploma or Report Card Authentication & Legalization for Non-Apostille Countries

Step 1: Authentication

To ensure the authenticity of the notary’s signature, all grade school education records must be notarized by a Canadian Notary Public, per the requirements set forth by Global Affairs Canada and the provincial authorities. Please ask for assistance if you require notary services; we offer them. The authentication procedure should be started as soon as possible because Global Affairs Canada is experiencing longer than usual processing times.

Step Two: Legalization
The legalization procedure at the embassy or consulate of the country where the document is intended to be used in is the second step. The majority of consulates and embassies are in Ottawa, and their legalization services come with a cost. They might also have different specifications or turnaround times.

  • University Degree
  • College Diploma
  • Transcripts – College/University
  • Teaching Certificates
  • Professional Certificates
  • ISO Certificates
  • TESOL certificate
  • Online professional certificate
  • Letters of Experience
  • Letters of Recommendation

Please be advised that some embassies require the additional verification letters (or original transcripts) to be mailed them directly from your University (College) Registrar offices.  We would welcome a chance to review your documents and answer any questions you have. Contact us today!

Request A Quote